Welcome to week 6 of the Lotus Moon Tiles CAL! Last week we made our octagons and joined them. You guys did an amazing job with that! Your afghans are looking beautiful and I’m so impressed at how easily you picked up the new joining method. And I’m glad to hear some of you even enjoyed it!
However, even though last week’s assignment gave us one big piece of crochet, it left us with some gaping holes. This week we’re going to fill those holes.
Your assignment this week, should you choose to accept it:
Make the square motifs and join them to the octagons
For the most part this week is all techniques we’ve used before except for one. Here’s your tips for this week:
- Switch to your smaller hook! Use your 5mm hook to make and join your squares. This will keep your afghan from bubbling up and keep those joins flat.
- If you’re joining as you go, make the squares through round 6 and then use round 7 to join. (Get the original instructions on the SC Join as You Go method from The Hat & I here.)
- There is a video demonstrating how to use the sc-join-as-you-go method in the Facebook CAL group. This is another CAL group exclusive.
- It’s nice to work this join on a clear flat surface like a dining room table. It can be a bit difficult at this point to lug the afghan around to join 4 different sides of a square.
- The one new thing, other than the join technique, is shallow post stitches. You can read my instructions in the pattern, they’re really not difficult to do. But if you would like to see a video tutorial on how to make them, I picked this trick up from Moogly, just click here for the tutorial.
That’s all you really need to know for this week. Good luck with the join! Polly out.